Another sneak peek of Barry Gibb’s upcoming all-star collaborative album Greenfields: The Gibb Brothers Songbook, Vol. 1 has been released. It’s a duet performance of the Bee Gees’ iconic song “Words” with Dolly Parton.
Collaborations with Olivia Newton-John, Sheryl Crow, Miranda Lambert, Brandi Carlile, and others are featured on the 12-track GREENFIELDS album. Gibb has previously released updated versions of “Butterfly” and “Words of a Fool” with Jason Isbell (featuring Gillian Welch and David Rawlings).
By the end of 1968, the song had at least six different versions, with Glen Campbell adding a recording of it to his Wichita Lineman album before the end of the year. Sandie Shaw, a beloved UK pop artist, also recorded it for her album The Sandie Shaw Supplement. The song was then included on the CD Elvis in Person at the International Hotel and started to appear in Elvis Presley’s live performances in Las Vegas. Rita Coolidge and Boyzone later produced versions that were successful, and it became their first UK No. 1 single.
Dave Cobb, the producer of the album told Rolling Stone, “I remember walking to where I was going to play guitar and my legs started trembling. I just registered the weight of these two. They’re bigger than legends, they’re icons, and they’re right there.”
Gibb remarked when discussing the creation of the new album. “From the first day we stepped into RCA Studios in Nashville (the very place where Elvis, Willie, Waylon, Roy, the Everly Brothers and so many other legends made their magic) the album took on a life of its own.”
He added, “I couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity to work with Dave and all the artists who stopped by. They were all incredibly generous with their time and talent. They inspired me more than words can express. I feel deep down that Maurice and Robin would have loved this album for different reasons. I wish we could have all been together to do it… but I think we were.”
Here is the tracklist.
01. ‘I’ve Gotta Get a Message to You’ (Feat. Keith Urban)
02. ‘Words of a Fool’ (Feat. Jason Isbell)
03. ‘Run to Me’ (Feat. Brandi Carlile)
04. ‘Too Much Heaven’ (Feat. Alison Krauss)
05. ‘Lonely Days’ (Feat. Little Big Town)
06. ‘Words’ (Feat. Dolly Parton)
07. ‘Jive Talkin’’ (Feat. Miranda Lambert and Jay Buchanan)
08. ‘How Deep Is Your Love’ (Feat. Tommy Emanuel and Little Big Town)
09. ‘How Can You Mend a Broken Heart’ (Feat. Sheryl Crow)
10. ‘To Love Somebody’ (Feat. Jay Buchanan)
11. ‘Rest Your Love on Me’ (Feat. Olivia Newton-John)
12. ‘Butterfly’ (Feat. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings)