Dying at the age of 27 sounds so uncanny but the toll is undoubtedly there. The 27 Club is a myth and legend in the world of music. Notable music events have transpired over the past 27 years, and the number ’27’ represents a lot of things. It is a sinister identity in the music industry.
It is a cultural phenomenon documenting the deaths of celebrities noted for their high-risk lifestyles. Also known as Forever 27 Club, rock fans have found unexplainable coincidences with it. The myth of the 27 Club gained eminence with the death of Kurt Cobain in 1994.
An alarming number of musicians have died at the age of 27. The list is very long and the mystery of the 27 Club keeps everyone fascinated. Here are some interesting 27 Club facts.
Facts about the 27 Club
1. One of the most celebrated electric guitarists, Jimi Hendrix died in London in September 1970. It was because of asphyxiating on his own vomit. He was 27. He and other celebrities such as Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and Janis Joplin also died at the age of 27.
2. A trend has occurred among the club members. Often times they are involved in drugs.
3. The same 27 Club concept has inspired a horror movie.
4. Its name is ‘The 27 Club’ and in the movie, they try to decrypt the mystery behind it. They also go through and analyze conspiracy theories.
5. Janis Joplin once smashed a bottle of Southern Comfort over fellow 27 club member Jim Morrisson’s head.
6. In 1969 Jimi Hendrix was the highest-paid musician at Woodstock. It was one year before his death.
7. The 27 Club lost media attention after Cobain’s Death but was revived by the death of Amy Winehouse in 2011. Amy had expressed her fear of dying at the age of 27 three days prior to her death.
8. Robert Johnson died in 1938 and after his death, there was a legend that he had a pact with the Devil. According to the legend he wanted to become a great blues musician and made an agreement. Then, Robert mastered the instrument and became a famous blues musician.
9. Most of the deaths were suspicious and confusing. For instance, Jim Morrison was found dead in a bathtub.
10. The British Medical Journal published a study in 2011 where it was stated that there was no real evidence of risk of death at the age of 27 for musicians. According to the study “the risk of death for famous musicians in their 20s to 30s was two to three times higher than the general UK population.”
11. According to a professor focusing on music and psychology, Dianna Theodora Kenny, it is concluded that more musicians die at the age of 28 than 27.
12. The musicians in the 27 Club had similar lifestyles. Another notable thing in common was a very difficult childhood.
13. According to Scientists, they believe the 27 Club is just a coincidence. Statistics suggest that 56 is the age with the highest celebrity death rate.
14. The cause of the death of Robert Johnson is still unknown. His death at the age of 27 has been rumored to be caused by a poisoned drink.
15. Many believe that the secret Illuminati society planned the death of these musicians.
Known as one of the greatest electric guitarists in history, Hendrix totally transformed the rock and roll genre. A pioneer in playing guitar, he was also a great singer and songwriter. His mainstream career spanned only four years but he was still very influential. His then-girlfriend claimed that he was heavy on drug use. He died at the age of 27 due to asphyxia.
Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Joplin was a widely regarded rockstar of her era. She was best known for her mezzo-soprano vocals. She was also the band ‘Big Brother and the Holding Company’s lead singer. She was addicted to heroin and alcohol when she was in the prime time of her career. She died of a heroin overdose in October 1970.
A prolific singer, poet, and songwriter, Jim was also the lead vocalist of the rock band The Doors. He is one of the most influential frontmen in rock history. The Doors was founded by him and his friend in 1965 and by 1969 his drinking had become a problem. Jim Morrison died of a heart attack caused by a heroin overdose.
Best known as the lead vocalist, and primary songwriter of the rock band Nirvana, Cobain has established himself as one of the best musicians in the world. As an explorer of Grunge rock, he and the band made a name in the realm of alternative rock. Despite the success, Cobain struggled with mental illness and heroin addiction. He committed suicide in April 1994.
Amy was an English singer-songwriter known for her deep expressive contralto vocals. Also, her mix of musical genres like soul, rhythm, and blues made her remarkable. She also won numerous awards and honors. Amy grappled with drug and alcohol addiction for years. Winehouse died in her London apartment at the age of 27.